Jun

Do Not Eat List

DO NOT EAT THESE!

All allergy blogs need one of these, so here you go.  You see something on there that I missed, let me know and I will update it….

no natural sulfites

like grapes (wine),

onions

garlic

mushrooms

beets

anything pickled, including olives

eggs

cheese

No dried herbs or seasonings, only fresh herbs

processed with preservatives

so many things in a restaurant

regular salt (can have sea salt)…

any with corn in the ingredients,

anything with sugar in the ingredients (except cane sugar),

pretty much most booze, except really really good tequila so get those sulfite free margarita recipes going!

maple syrup

MSG

caramel color

lunchmeat

coconut

pork

vinegar

soy

salmon

peanuts

all condiments – mustard, mayo, ketchup, relish, steak sauce, etc.

gum

label buzzwords:  There are six names used for sulfites: sulfur dioxide, sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite, potassium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, and potassium metabisulfite. Sulfites, bisulfites and metabisulfites are all dry chemical forms of the gas, sulfur dioxide.

8 Responses to “Do Not Eat List”

1. June 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

So does it make a difference if any of these “no can have” products are organic? Seems to me that much of the sulfite content would be derived from less than natural fertilization methods and or pest control methods. Just wondering tif the list could be shortened or if some of these things may ecome ok in moderation (i.e. no more than once a week or something…) if you could confirm the growing and gardening methods used. Perhaps even start your own garden/greehouse to ensure proper methods were used to minimize the sulfite build up in the produce itself?

Just a thought. I don’t know much about then chemical impacts of organic growing methods to produce (other than the obvious) and how it may or may not effect the sulfite content of the final product. But I will be asking around, because I am interested in knowing.

For a time, Emily thought she may be allergic to sulfites, but with this extensive list of produce (many of which are staples in our family diet) it would seem she would be having more issues than she is. The only thing I can think of that may account for her lack of symptoms is that we always buy organic from local growers, or she really isn’t allergic to sulfites and its something else that can kill her if she eats it.

by the way, is there a reason that you have two blogs and never write on the older one but started this new one? Just curious.

-j-

p,s, love you lots and I hope that you can find ways to feel better without being pissed of at the gastronomical realities of your world.

• June 16, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Good points…all this is new to me for sure, so I am trying to learn it all with basically not a lot of guidance. It seems that there are natural sulfites due to sugars in things like beets, mushrooms, garlic, onions, coconuts, etc…Then there are the more processed issues. Like I can have corn on the cob, but not anything that has corn in it if it has been processed because the when they take the corn and soak it for three days to process it, that is when they add sulfites. A friend if mine told me that the reason why vodka might bother someone with a sulfite allergy is because it the filter that is used in the process is made out of charcoal from coconuts. Hello. So, random. Now, this doesn’t mean that me, in particular can never have garlic again. Right now, I am in the elimination process, where I am cleansing my body as much as I can from sulfites. Then, in a few weeks I will reintroduce things. I don’t know if ALL of these things even effect me. But what I do know is that for as least the last 2 years, every day I would wake up and feel like death…weak, massively fatigued, foggy…then in the last 6 months, it has really escalated to where random joints have been attacked and almost frozen. Since I have been doing this, I feel INCREDIBLY better. The few times that I have inadvertently eaten something, the reaction has doubled…probably because my body is cleaner. I would love to grow my own stuff. But there are so many changes that I am having to make now that everything seems to be overwhelming. It will all be fine soon and hopefully a non-issue. I jsut have to grasp everything. I am for the summer at least, going to hit up the local growers. Haven’t figured out what to do yet in the winter. That is interesting about Emily…but I ma glad to hear that is seems like you guys have it under control.
      As far as the websites, I started this one as a support system for the few random people that share this problem. The other blog is just my stupid day to day rantings that I got bored with and no one reads anyway. Josh….sweetie…can’t you tell I have blog ADD? XO

• June 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm

So I asked a Botony professor about the possibility of organics mitigating sulfite content in some of these food plants. Here is his reply.

“OK, so I’m no expert on sulfites other than I know that certain plants have fairly high levels of them. Now, the reality is that all plants require sulphur for normal growth and this is the element on which sulfites (SO3^2) are built. In theory you could grow plants in S-free environments (e.g., hydroponics – S) and they would be sulfite free, but they would not grow or develop normally. It’s possible that there might be “luxury” consumption of S (and therefore production of excess sulfites) in particularly S-rich environments, but I’d doubt this. If this occurs, then the trick would be to get the plant to grow at the lowest level of soil S that would meet the plant’s minimum requirements. Assuming that you could find a low-S soil, it would probably be harder to do this under most organic scenarios since virtually all fertility supplements (e.g., manure, compost) would be adding S. At least in onions, it’s my understanding that the sulfites are largely responsible for the primary flavor characteristics that we associate with this species. Take away the sulfites and it’s really no longer an onion, at least to a consumer.”

So it seems that if you were interested in funky looking, poor yielding food plants that are typically associated with sulfites, you could try hydropnics. But it looks like onions are out no matter what. In my opionion (pun intended) the hydroponics thing seems like too much of a hassle for to little gain.

All that being said, from the looks of the recipes, it seems you are finding some good alternatives. I will keep my ears and eyes open for other possibilities. As well, I’ll look in with some chemistry guys to see if there are ways to “wash” some of the sulfites out of these things that won’t kill you or make you sick or anything.

-j-

2. 4 Karen
    June 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Stay strong Heather. I know it is difficult and frustrating, but the end result will be worth it.

3. June 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Josh, thanks so much for asking him and my I.Q dropped about 74% just reading his response. I love that I have a college researcher as a good pal! XO

4. February 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I am in love and jealous with this blog.

Love = because there is so much information here that is really decentralized on the web; and you have done a phenomenal job bringing together in an awesome format.

Jealous = because I thought I had an original idea (inventing the wheel) of getting the sulfite free recipes in one spot, for everyone to share. As I am total newbie to blogging – this is also kind of a relief.

I also suffer from sulfite allergies that not only the fatigue and joint pain – I have the bonus feature of rashing out around the eyes, neck and arms. Not a pretty sight to say the least – I looked like Gary Busey with poison oak after an all-nighter (minus the whole teeth thing).

It took me about a year and a half to figure out why these once infrequent occurring rashes were now constant. I am also learning as I go, but now have it better in control. Oh – and lost about 15 lbs along the way – so I got that going for me…

A comment you made earlier really struck a chord with me about how that now your body is clean (sounds weird) your tolerance is down. Same here. As a matter of fact by introducing food items such as eggs, cheese, garlic and onions in one at a time – then the process of elimination – our lists (yours and mine) are near identical.

Question: are you open to posting additional recipe submissions? If so – let me know because I would rather contribute than ‘reinvent the wheel’. Most of the other sulfite related blogs focus on what you cannot eat – rather than what you can. I think this is the first one that I have come across that has both; and in an easy to read humorous format.

Mike

• February 19, 2011 at 2:51 pm

“I looked like Gary Busey with poison oak after an all-nighter (minus the whole teeth thing).” LOL
      first, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this but at least you have finally figured out what is was and the weight loss is SUCH a perk-ditty-perk, no?

Mike, the whole point of me doing this blog was to reach out and have a little sulfite-free kum by ya fest.
      So I would absolutely LOVE to have you submit stuff. I do know of a good sulfitenot friend who has something coming out soon (hint hint) that is going to be really awesome, but I like keeping this one as a blog and keeping the vibe fun and light and I really encourage people to submit stuff if they want. I will give everyone full credit, of course. It takes a village. I have nothing to gain with this site but just help people like us have a better understanding of why pickled food makes our body freak out. And to post scary pictures of me in the kitchen. So, submit away. You can always send things to my email address to at heather@heathermoran.com
      Welcome!!!

5. 8 Rob
    September 24, 2013 at 5:09 am

Hi I am a beginner at hydrophonic grown food. My first crop I am trying is lettuce, tomatoes and spearmint for tea.
    Can you tell me is it safe to use Sodium bisulfate 91% and 9% inert ingredients to lower my ph level I know this should lower the ph but I wonder is the food safe to eat if I use this to lower ph.

Rob