Jun

Kale and Potato salad

HOLLA

This is yum…great hot right after you make it and nummy the next day cold.  I ate it on my way back from a gig the other night.  In my car.  While talking on the phone.  On the highway.  During construction.  While putting on mascara.  And breastfeeding.  Not really.

• 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 pounds kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced crosswise

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in upper third.

Toss potatoes with oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large 4-sided sheet pan, then spread evenly. Roast, stirring once, 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, water, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. (Add a bit of water if sauce is too thick.)

Toss kale with hot potatoes and any oil remaining in pan, then toss with sauce and salt and pepper to taste.

If it doesn’t look just like this.  You suck, throw it in the garbage and do it over.

*WARNING: This website is meant to suggest things for people with sulfite allergies.  There are many different types and degrees of food intolerences out there,.  Many of them can be dangerous.  I am, contrary to what you all may think reading my genius blog, I am NOT an expert on this.  So please don’t sue.  Thank You.

8 Responses to “Kale and Potato salad”

1. June 17, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Hi Heather! That look really great. I love potatoes and kale is a superstar, so I will try ASAP. Just curious as to how you ended up being diagnosed with your sulfite allergy? It took a lot of doctors, time, and money to figure all my food dilemmas out. I’ve been able to find a really great selection of allergy-friendly foods at Whole Foods Markets. Do you have one nearby? I hope so!

2. June 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping in! So there is no real test for this allergy. My Doctor, Dr. Unger, usually peeks in here os maybe he can explain it better. But he just actually looked at my symptoms and was able to kind of narrow it down from there. I have been doing the elimination diet for a couple of weeks. I did eat something from a restaurant that has sulfites in it and I had a major reaction. So when that happened, I was pretty convinced. I also feel better with most of my symptoms than I have in about TWO years, so that is huge right there. People keep on telling me how lucky I am that it is not something worse, but to tell you the truth, it’s pretty bad. I just don’t think people really realize it. So, it’s nice to meet you, I sympathize with you and let’s keep the communication flowing. Make sure to subscribe to this and send me your contact info so we can swap recipes and ideas! I do shop at Whole Foods but there really isn’t one close to me and it’s REALLY expensive so I am hitting up Trader Joe’s and fresh markets. I don’t know what I am going to do in the winter LOL

• June 22, 2010 at 3:25 am

Hi Heather!

Yes, I agree it is a lot more difficult than people imagine. My reactions are awful and dangerous and I carry an epipen just in case, so I am super duper careful. The elimination diet is a great way to go about figuring a lot out! And I totally agree with you, Whole Foods is amazing, but crazy expensive. I went this afternoon and spent way too much money for a just-out-of-school-grad, ha. However, the 365 brand (whole foods own line) is usually a lot cheaper. I love TJ’s though too! Love your blog, so glad we can relate!

• June 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Wow! You have it really severe…that’s horrible…I went to sunset foods the other day and it was disappointing. It’s totally nice, but if I am going to spend those prices, I am going to go all the way to Whole Paycheck where I can try the samples and get an iced latte from the coffee bar. So glad to meet you!!!

July 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Hey Heather – just checking out some posts I missed. I am confused – is the sauce only lemon juice, water and salt? Why do I need to blend it at all, then – how could it not be smooth? Also – only 10 min on the potatoes? Are they done enough? usually I cook potatoes for like 40 minutes – what am I doing wrong? Is the kale cooked at all or is it just tossed with the potatoes and gets a little wilty cause the pan is hot? I really want to make this, thanks for the advice…..

• July 14, 2010 at 1:21 am

Tracy….I don’t know why you blend it…whatevah, your right. This was my first recipe by the way, so now that I have gotten my culinary degree from the can’t cook school for hard knocks, I would probably experiment a little more with some fresh herbs and olive oil. But I did learn that if you put the salt in after you add olive oil, it will never mix in…I don’t know, I guess I need to make that a little clearer. It’s more probably like 15-20 minutes on the potatoes but I cut mine very thin and they are small potatoes. They also finish cooking in the pan with the kale. I will change that. I like to cook the kale and make it wilty because kale to me is very chewy. Hope I cleared some things up!

4. December 22, 2012 at 3:04 am

Labor Day is right around the corner, and it’s time to start thinking about what great meals you will prepare. Toss meat for 1 to 2 minutes. cup cottage cheese.

5. March 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is
    amazing, great written and come with approximately all significant infos.
    I’d like to see more posts like this .