Jun

HOT DAYUM. I cooked something.

(Cue applause track.)

I cooked something that was actually edible.

One of my new sulfite-free buddies suggested a new cookbook.  I ordered it and I am having a ton of fun with it.  It’s called The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

So far I have made the avocado dressing and avocado mayo and they do the job.  My chicken sandwiches no longer taste like dried tongue.

Last night I made the Lime Steak and Pineapple Salsa and holy hell, they were really good.  My cousin Astroguy was there to pick up his son and he was a little pessimistic.  I don’t think he thought I had it in me to make the salsa.  Especially since A.) He knows I don’t know what the hell I am doing.  B) I don’t have the right mechanics i.e. kitchen equipment.

I am trying to do all the chopping in my blender and my Magic Bullet, of with you know I LOVE, but I need a Cuisinart or something.  Will have to break down and get one.

Anywho,  the salsa was OLE!!!  Will post recipe one of these days…it was good on the meat, which I served over rice and a side of sauteed kale.  But it would be good with just chips too…we were dipping pita chips in there and it makes for a great little appetizer.   It didn’t look that great, people, but it really tasted divine.

This is NOT my salsa. You should know by now that my salsa wouldn't look this good.

BEANS UPDATE

I finally was able to make an edible batch of them beans.  The world can now rotate again.

TRAVELING

We are going to a lacrosse tournament this weekend and staying in a hotel with no fridge.  What the hell.  What do I do?  I guess we can bring a cooler of stuff but that sounds SOOO high maintenance.  Need travel food guide eating advice stat.  The good thing is that I am sure that I will have a lot to blog about when I get back.

I CAN’T MAKE RICE

I can’t make rice.  I even bought a rice cooker from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I still can’t make rice.  Seriously, what is wrong with me?

AVOCADO

I just realized that since I like avocados so much, I type that word a lot.  But I just noticed that I have been spelling it wrong.  I am too lazy to go alllllll over the site and change the spelling so I want to take this moment to apologize to you and please make mental note that I am a spelling blond.  That is all.

(I think Magic Bullet needs to start paying me for advertising. BUY THE BULLET.  http://www.buythebullet.com/)

12 Responses to “HOT DAYUM. I cooked something.”

1. 1 Abbie
    June 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I find it easier to make rice in a pot on a stove. I screw it up every time in the rice cooker but come up with beautiful fluffy rice on the stove… my Asian thinks this is hilarious but I think it is even funnier that he can’t make rice on the stove to save his life. 🙂
    Feel free to contact me if you need advice on what kitchen stuff to get. I can least tell you which brands/equipment to stay away from with a ten foot pole. I worked at Williams-Sonoma for a while and therefore know more that I ever wanted to about scads of kitchen stuff (and there are a lot of the same brands at BBB, which you mentioned, as there are at WS).
    P.S. – I love my magic bullet too! Great smoothy maker…

• June 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I know….I feel like I shouldn’t have gotten the rice cooker, but Abbie, Lord knows I was having trouble with it on the stove. I think it’s because I get chef ADD. I will put in there. Stare at it for awhile, willing myself to pay attention. Then I forget to put on the timer and I kind of guess as to when I started it. Then I look out the window and I think about how I need to start the laundry. Then someone needs another Gogurt. Then I see my neighbor our front so I go talk to her for 30 minutes. Then….

So, yes, I want a great chopper thingie, but can’t spend too much on it. I know I will use it like the dickens though so if you have any suggestions, let me know. Can I get a good for under $100?

2. 4 Abbie
    June 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm

argh, gotta love those grammar mistakes and left out words you see after the fact

I meant to say – my Asian husband 😛

3. 6 Abbie
    June 24, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Hmmm – I really like my cuisinart and they aren’t too terribly expensive… I don’t think you would need anything too outrageously big (like the 14 cup). This 7 cup one is just under $100 at BBB (and would about $80 with their coupons they send out all the time). It also has all the really useful blades and cutting and slicing attachments which some of the smaller ones don’t have…

See what you think and if it seems really wrong let me know and I will come up with some other options.

4. June 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

That looks downright sexy. I want that. I just emailed it to Thor. Will let you know if he takes the bait.

5. June 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thor says “YES”. I’ll have to make him something extra SPICY in it. 😉

6. June 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Get an amazon affiliate account and link to the amazon page for the bullet. Paid. This blog makes me smile.

7. 11 Heather S.
    June 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Hey Mama…check out Costco for the Cuisinart-last time I was there they had two sizes. Also if you are cooking basmati/jasmine (not brown rice) you can make it in the microwave
    Ingredients

* 2 cups long grain rice
    * 3 1/2 cups water or stock
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons butter or oil
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place all ingredients in a large glass measuring or any microwave safe bowl. Note: the rice expands during cooking, so be sure to choose a container that is large enough. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Microwave on medium-low, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Do not stir the rice at any time during the cooking process. Season with salt and fluff with a fork just before serving.

Smooches!