Aug

The Sulfite Allergy CAN List

(Please note that these are all things that I can tolerate.  Yo may have different severities to things.  This is just a guideline and these items seem to work for me.  THIS LIST IS A WORK IN PROGRESS AND WILL CHANGE so please check back periodically.)

When I was looking online and trying to find ideas of things I can eat, there was nothing out there.  So here is a sample list of things that I can eat and a daily food meal suggestions. Hope this helps and I welcome your comments, input and/or hate mail.

BREAKFAST ITEMS

Greek plain yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in and a dab of honey

natural ovens toasted with butter and honey

Kashi 7 whole grain honey puffs

smoothies made with yogurt and fresh fruit

SNACKS

kettle One Sea Salt chips

Isola Thin Crustinetti’s (found at Whole Paycheck.  Basically mini breadsticks)

Lara Bars:  Read the ingredients VERY carefully.  If you can have nuts, these are fantastic.  I personally cannot but I have a separate nut allergy so  you may be fine with this.)

DAIRY

Greek yogurt – plain

Plain yogurt

cream and half and half

*Milk – this is one of those things that people can or cannot tolerate.  Make sure you find out of you can do this.   Many people actually drink non-fortified clean milk that you can get straight from farmers.

*Goat cheese  – seriously?  I don’t know if this makes me sick or not.  I feel like it might.  I am going to try it one more time today and see what happens.   I had some yesterday and my thumb is swollen like little Jack Horner.

*Fresh Mozz – YES!  Works for me!  And it melts…..yum…..UPDATE.  Yeah, no.  Can’t do mozz…I think it makes me really sick.  But I can have

FETA!!!  I get the athos brand and it melts so it’s good on everything…my favorite is melted a little on top of pasta

*Butter – I love the irish butter you can get at Trader Joe’s and so do the kids

MEAT

(I try to get everything organic and mostly from places like Whole Paycheck.  And I clean the heck out of it and dry it.  Let me also add that I was recently told that the little pads that are under chicken and meat are actually totally comprised up sulfites.  I haven’t been able to find actual documentation for that but I am working on it, so check back.)

Chicken

Turkey

Steak

Most fish (no crustaceans unless fresh right from the sea)

Beef

SOUPS

I made a ton of homemade soup now.  I make my own broth and store it.

I do cream based soups like cream of asparagus, broccoli, green pepper and I am about to venture into some other soups. My problem is that I REALLY miss the onion flavor but it’s something you have to get used to….and you just have to get used t making your own broth….

FRUIT AND VEGGIES

*Tomatoes (Like Parmesan cheese, tomatoes have a naturally high content of MSG so some people cannot tolerate it.)

Celery, carrots, all lettuce including kale and collard greens, green/red/yellow peppers, all berries, beans, eggplant, cucumber, zucchini, avocados, melons, bananas, *apples and *peaches(I seem to have  a sensitivity and not sure if it is from the sulfites that are sprayed once on the crops at the beginning of harvest on even organic fruits), Lemon, lime, mangoes, kiwi

OTHER

honey

olive, canola and sunflower oil

fresh pepper

sea salt

fresh herbs and organic spices (no spice or seasoning mixes)

tea with unbleached only bags

fresh squeezed orange juice

BOOZE GLORIOUS BOOZE

Sierra Nevada beer (the original blend)

Clear good tequila like Patron or1800 Silver  (mix it with fresh OJ and fresh mint, YUM)

Bonterra Organic Chardonnay  (I can do this, but only with the twisty top from the organic section at The Jewel or Trader Joe’s and Whole Paycheck)  NOT ALL can tolerate this.  Thank the Heavens that big momma can.

16 Responses to “The Sulfite Allergy CAN List”

1. 1 Abbie
    September 20, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Ok – you ready for some good news? I was out of town and eating out with family (I know – the immediate thought is how badly can I screw this up) and we ended up at PF Changs. (I have given up trying to pick a place that has better options for me cause really no place out seems to be great.) So I start my usual bantering with the waiter (I’d like to apologize in advance for being an obnoxious customer, but are you ready to play 20 questions about what is in each dish kind of stuff) he didn’t know about the lemon in the dish I was asking about and called a manager over. The manager said he would find out.

***I kid you not, he came back with a list of menu items safe for people with sulfite allergies!!!!***

Now, I am sure they aren’t 100% picky like some of us need to be (I have heard of plenty of folks that react at less than 10ppm which is what they generally go by) but I was super excited none-the-less. At least I could be sure I was avoiding any of the super bad options this way. Next time you are out and about you might have to try them out so you don’t have to sit out in the car eating moldy food! 😉 No need to be obnoxious and picky with the wait staff. I had forgotten how nice that is!

My lemon chicken was yummy and 12 hours later I haven’t had any of the symptoms of a more serious reaction (my nose is stuffy but who knows, that is probably seasonal allergies and my face is itchy but I also got sunburned — nothing I am willing to pin on the meal at this point).

I felt the need to share some of my happiness. I hope this helps some of you folks out too.

• October 21, 2012 at 4:03 am

Hi Abbie. I just found out that I’m very allergic to sulfites. I’ve been suffering clueless for 33 years. Now that I know, I’m at a loss on how to manage this allergy. I’m a junk food junkie! I don’t even know how to make bread. Do you have any tips to help? Does anyone have any tips to help? And, do you still have the list of menu items at PF Changs that is safe to eat? Would you be willing to share it?

• 3 Abbie
        December 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

They don’t let you keep the allergy menus at most places b/c of liability issues. There were several pages on that specialty menu. Just ask and they should be able to pull it up.
        As far as cooking goes, I suggest getting a really good basic cookbook. I like anything by Alton Brown and the Williams Sonoma technique books have good explanations and pictures. You want something that over explains and doesn’t assume you know anything. Online food blogs can also be good for this.
        Then while you are learning what you can and can’t eat, stick to things that aren’t procesed and go organic as much as you can afford to.
        Good luck figuring everything out!

2. September 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm

This is outstanding news, Abbie! Thanks for sharing…
    I found 5 locations in the chicagoland area and they can be found here

I have never been to one before, but I can guarantee you, that I will be making a trip to the Schaumberg location soon.
    Yay for lemon Chicken!!!

3. 5 Brian
    December 5, 2010 at 4:03 am

Heather,

As for you do list I think you may have to check one more off. Broccoli and Cauliflower are two I have killed from my list. I have not given up on onions or garlic. Watch out for mini carrots as they are sulphited with no indication on the packages.

Brian

PS my wife’s allergist said something like “I bow to your knowledge of sulphites”, which made me think. How could an allergist in Ottawa not know about sulfites.

• December 6, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Brian…hi!
      Isn’t the internet great for bringing people together?
      I belong to that yahoo group and I love it! I learn a ton there…
      Wow, what scary experiences for you…I find that this allergy seems to be a real needle-in-a-haystack for most people when coming to diagnosis. I am glad that you have found some relief with those medications. I have been on prednisone now for over a week and I have to say that even though I am more insane that I usually am (if possible), I think it is helping me with some of my reactions. I am hopefully only on it for 3 months, so we will see what happens then….I do not seem to have problem with broccoli and cauli….but I do really seem to get a reaction from garlic and most probably onion. It is so strange that our personal lists can be so different from one another…
      Unfortunately, I have this irregular heartbeat that gets cranky with antihistamines so I have to stay clear of them. I love that your wife’s allergist is bowing to your knowledge. Please stick around here…we need you! LOL

4. 7 Kathy
    January 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Wow, thank you so much for your blog, for this list, and for your sense of humor especially. I really needed a good laugh. I have been itching, severely itching, in all the places you would not want to itch, for 14 months. I have been to over a dozen different doctors, poked, prodded, and tested with no answers. I have put myself on various very restrictive diets to eliminate offending foods and try to control this problem. Only in the last week have I narrowed it down to sulfites and I am just praying this will actually be the solution. I have ordered a book about sulfites in foods that I found online, and as I anxiously and hungrily await it’s arrival, I stumbled on your blog. I am going to the store now to see if I can tolerate some of the items you listed – plain greek yogurt in particular as I have not had dairy for a long time and had no idea how to tell what, if any, could be trusted.
    Hungry, hopeful and very grateful for your sharing,
    Kathy

• January 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Kathy…I am so glad you stumbled upon this….And I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Make sure you join the yahoo group listed on the link page. There are many people on there, fellow sulfite-nots, who can be a big help. I am wondering what book you got, let me know and I will put it on here (and buy one myself!)
      The greek yogurt is a life saver for sure! Even if you just put some honey and berries in it, it is delish!
      I am in a horrible state right now because I have really fallen off the wagon. I have been cheating daily, because some of my RA meds mask my symptoms a little bit. But my body has declared an all out war on me and I look like a blond stay-puff marshmallow wo-man.
      MAke sure to also subscribe to the blog so you can get updates and check in!
      I am long overdue for some posts, so I will have some more good stuff soon! I am anxious to see if you were able to find anything on here that you can tolerate.
      XO
      Heather

• 9 Kathy
        January 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Hi Heather, I have subscribed to the blog and the yahoo group. Im sorry you aren’t feeling well right now. I’d love to talk to you a little about your RA at some point, just curious because I have been having some weird pains lately…. but that’s another topic altogether. Anyway, I LOVE Greek yogurt. I ate it with honey and it reminded me of one of my favorite foods – the tart flavor of frozen yogurt. YUM! As I said, I had restricted many foods in the last year, some unnecessarily, so I am dreaming up new foods to try all the time. This weekend I made a lemon cake that was really good. I used rice vinegar and baking soda instead of baking powder (I reacted to even the featherwieght kind)and I chose lemon (fresh lemon juice of course) so that the vanilla that I left out would not be missed. It does have organic eggs, milk, flour, butter – so I think I am okay with those, although I understand some may not be. I’m so new to all of this I keep questioning every little crumb of anything that goes in my mouth. Anyway, if you care to try it let me know and I’ll send over the recipe.
        Take good care!
        Kathy

• January 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Kathy…ping me at heather@heathermoran.com and we can chat more about the RA thing…fill me in on what kind of symptoms you are feeling…I am in no way near a DR but I may be able to point you into the right direction. And now I am craving greek yogurt with honey. Alas, there is a snow dump here in the Chicagoland area and we don’t have much food in the kitchen that I can eat, so it looks like lettuce and sea salt pita chips for me all day LOL
        I WANT WANT WANT the recipe for the lemon cake, that sounds so delish….send it to me and I will put it up here for people and I will of course try to make it myself. I will have the camera handy, as we all know that something horrible will go wrong if I have anything to do with making it and it will be fun to document.
        I don’t know how well I do with eggs, but one seems to be ok if I use it baked or cooked in something.

5. February 10, 2011 at 1:34 am

OMGOSH I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUUUUUUU and I don’t even know you! I too am a SulfiteNOT and am struggling to find into. I just started a Public Group on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_108589049218704 trying to get more people together that deal with this annoying allergy.

• February 10, 2011 at 3:42 am

lol hello marissa…i know how good it feels to stuuumble upon soomeone who acrtuallyy gets it…i felt the same way when i met my friend, the sufite free queen. i am more of like a dimwitted court waif with a few vscrews loose but i think i have gathered some useful info…make sure to join the sulfite allergy yahoo board as well. From what i gather so far, u r a canadian garlic loving italian in desparate need of information and cinnaon. i willl try to help my deaer but right now i am drinkng becausei just got hgome from teaching and thor put some crap on my computer and it doesnt work and i am trying to type all of this on my phone that wet because alpha just dropped an entire glass of water on it and cracker is screaming in tongues because thor yelled at her to get her jammies on and bambi cant find the freakin guinea pig and u can see why i am chuggimg a big glass of wine. welcome to crazyland…enjoy the ride.

• February 10, 2011 at 3:49 am

just saw all the typos on this and I want u all to know they there r fromtytping on a reedonkuulousy small keytboard with heinous slutty looking fake dingernails from my gig last night. They r not due to my wine cconsumption. I was going to go back and correct dingernails but I think I am going to go ahead and keep it.

6. December 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hi you all! Nice to know I am not alone. Finally figured out what was going on with me, (sulfite allergy) about three years ago. Have not had any severe, (anaphylactic have to go to hospital) type reactions for about two years now. I found out that the Benadryl I was taking to stop reactions was making them worse lol. I am still trying to figure things out. Rice seems to bother me, even things with rice flour, even though I was tested for rice allergy and it was negative, and lots of vegetables seem to bother me. It is so hard to know what is safe, and tell other people what I can have. Soooo frustrating.

7. 15 Judy
    February 11, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Hi Heather my name is Judy and I think I also have a sulfite allergy. Occasionally my lips would swell up burn in turn red then crack. I couldn’t figure out why. Recently I opened a bottle of peach flavored Asti champagne and had three glasses on an empty stomach. Then I’m not a friend out and a cheeseburger with ketchup and had a Smirnoff wine cooler. about a half hour after I got home my lips started to swell and burn. I called my friend up who is also a nurse and I said I can’t believe my lips have swollen since I left you & she asked me all the things I ate and drank. I told her what I ate and that I drank the champagne. She immediately told me that champagne was high in sulfites & I had the smirnoff’s and the cheeseburger. I’ve been to allergy doctors skin doctors primary care doctors and no one could figure out why my lips did this and only my lips. Thank you very much for your list of things to eat and I’m going to try to stick to those and see if this clears up. I had it for 3 months one time and it is very painful and my lips peel. Thanks again