Oct

First cookoff item: Baby Bear Porridge

I woke up without the use of the OTHER hand.  I ate virtually NOTHING yesterday but I did have some baked Kettle sea salt chips.  The baked part was new.  REALLY?  Would that be it?  *Sigh* Will have to call company.  Anyway, I am henpecking with one hand so you know I started typing this entry last Thursday and I am still going.

But I must rise and conquer. Can’t blow on my stupid first day of the stupid cook-off that stupid me said that I would stupid do.

So, I decided to make a breakfast item because I never know what to eat in the mornings and I am looking for something healthy, filling, fast and something that won’t swell my appendages.  I smell oatmeal ceilings.  Off to the races!!!!

18 Responses to “First cookoff item: Baby Bear Porridge”

October 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm

What kind of oil was it? I noticed that Cape Cod Kettle chips recently switched from Safflower/Sunflower oil to canola oil – which is a bad one for GMO stuff.

October 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I hate to say this – but have you considered the topical stuff you are using? I had a reaction to this thing I was using for bruises. It is basically like a sticker you put over the bruise and it has chinese herbs in it and makes the bruise go away in about three days – and I used one and totally had a reaction. Turns out the herbs used were sulfited and I absorbed it through my skin. Fun times.

3. October 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Sure, I have thought about it being something, but I am have showed it down in my subconsciousness next to the memory of of Renee Tribo shoving me down the back stairs when I was 7. The thought of it being my mascara or lip gloss or fancy pants lotion that I need to not look like a hag, is frightening. But yes, I should consider it.
    Now I am really questioning the filtered water in my fridge.

• 6 Abbie
      October 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I find this site pretty helpful for checking out make up, lotions, shampoo, etc.- it might help:
      Of course I still haven’t found a shampoo that works with my hair and doesnt cause some problems but the search will continue…

I would also totally check any filtered or bottled water you are using. Bottled water often has sulfites/sulfates of one form or another added back to it because it is supposed to make the water taste less flat after having everything removed from it. I also found this comment on an allergy board – not sure how reliable the source is but thought it was worth passing on:
      “As far as tap water goes, sulfites are added to tap water to prevent the pipes that bring the water to your home from rusting internally. Additionally, if the water is filtered, almost all filters in this country are made from coconut – which of course have sulfites in them. The best I think you can do is unfiltered tap water or well water. I have even considered buying one of those machines to take the impurities out of the water – but those are EXPENSIVE.”

• October 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Abbie, it’s expensive but have you tried Aveda’s Shampure???
        I think i will do a separate post on this…so we can try to generate some other people’s input…sound good?

I am starting to drink out of the tap at home and sadly(and not sadly) I think I am noticing a difference. I LOVE my water in the fridge with the ice. BOO.

That is great info that you added, girlfriend…thanks so much…how much do those water filters cost? OK, we need a water post, too. Better get crackin’ over here LOL

4. October 14, 2010 at 10:00 pm

OMG, ok I am already a dork.
    I decide to make the porridge in the morning for breakfast and I was going to make scones, so I go to Dominick’s to buy baking soda and baking powder

DOH

I can’t really use either one of them. Well maybe the baking soda. Tracy helped me with some substitute ideas but see, here we go, there are already problems and challenges and I haven’t put the apron on yet. I will try after dinner tonight and we’ll see what happens.

5. 9 Abbie
    October 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

We want an update… 🙂
    What yumminess did you come up with?

6. October 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Oohhh ok, will post that now.
    You know, I started to make the porridge and I was like, “um, HEATHER, YOU DORK. This is oatmeal and if you can’t make this…if you feel the need to blog it with pictures…then you seriously have the brain of a 2 year old child.”

So I decided to make lentil soup LOL
    Posting now…

October 20, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Ooooh – I am glad to see that the water switch is helping! I, too, was bitter when I figured out the water was making me sick, but BOY, do I feel better now that I don’t drink it!
    And what do you mean, you don’t know how reliable I am? Yes, that was me – and I have been doing research as best I can, but no, I haven’t done any testing on my own, so take it for what it is worth! And if you do a water blog, I will post some links to home purifiers that I am considering…..

• October 20, 2010 at 7:10 pm

You are the most reliable person I know!!! Where did you get that??? OK, I am trying to get ready but I am having a really bad day…super weak, short of breath, dry mouth and really thirsty….I haven’t eaten anything out of the ordinary but my body feels better today because I took 3 advil. Could that be it????????? That would be horrifying because it is the only thing that gets my joint swelling down.

October 20, 2010 at 9:21 pm

LOL – I was kidding – Abbie quoted me above, but said she didn’t know who I was so didn’t know if the info was reliable – just amusing myself! Advil, huh? I am so bad with meds, but it looks like lots of danger in every form – here is the ingredient lists broken down by form:

Tablets/Caplets (Sugar-coated)
    Each brown, sugar-coated tablet/caplet contains ibuprofen 200 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: acetylated monoglyceride, beeswax, carnauba wax, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, ethoxyethanol, iron oxides, lecithin, microcrystalline cellulose, parabens, pharmaceutical glaze, pharmaceutical shellac, povidone, pregelatinized starch, silicon dioxide, simethicone, sodium benzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, sucrose, and titanium dioxide.

Gel Caplets
    Each beige brown, gelatin-coated gel-caplet contains ibuprofen 200 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, FD&C Red No.40, FD&C Yellow No.6, gelatin, glycerin, hypromellose, iron oxides, medium chain triglycerides, pregelatinized starch, propyl gallate, propylene glycol, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, titanium dioxide, and triacetin.

Liqui-Gels
    Each green, transparent, gelatin capsule contains ibuprofen 200 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: FD&C Green No.3, gelatin, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl acetate phthalate, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitan, sorbitol, and titanium dioxide.

Extra Strength Caplets
    Each brown film-coated caplet contains ibuprofen 400 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cornstarch, croscarmellose sodium, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, iron oxides, lecithin, pharmaceutical shellac, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized starch, silicon dioxide, simethicone, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, talc, and titanium dioxide.

Extra Strength Liqui-Gels
    Each yellow, transparent, gelatin capsule contains ibuprofen 400 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: gelatin, iron oxide, lecithin, medium chain triglycerides, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl acetate phthalate, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water, sorbitan, and sorbitol.

I mean, heck, you got corn starch, sorbitol, gelatin – and that isn’t going in for the actual chemical composition of the ibuprofin itself! I think you might need to get off that stuff. I am sorry, I know it sucks with the swelling. Maybe Dr. M can think of something? The dry mouth, super thirsty thing is a total give away for me when I am having a mild reaction. Sigh.

9. 14 Abbie
    October 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Tracy – If I had known that was you I would have let you post the info on here. As you seem to have guessed, I didn’t mean anything personal by it. To be honest, I didn’t even look to see who had posted the comment on the other site (just googled water and sulfites cause I was curious, I knew about bottled water but had recently begun to suspect tap water as well). I guess I just wanted to let Heather know she wasn’t crazy for suspecting water (because I know I felt that way the first time) while also giving a disclaimer that I was repeating info from someone else… I don’t like to post stuff and make it sound like I know what I am talking when I really don’t. I just wanted to make sure the information got shared. Do you have any thoughts about charcoal filters? That is what some folks seemed to suggest, but I hesitate to believe that would remove sulfites…

10. 15 Abbie
    October 24, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Man – just looking at the inactive ingredients list on those meds is making me feel itchy! I don’t usually take stuff unless it is that or flinging myself off a building from a migraine – I need to research the topic myself to find safe alternatives…

11. October 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Argh! Blast you, vile sulfites! I had NO clue that your allergy could put limbs to sleep. Hope your hand is up and at ’em soon enough. Although, on the other hand, it’d be a great reason to hire yourself a man-servant… 🙂

• October 26, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Erin, it is so crazy how many people have various different reactions. I definitely swell up, bloat and limbs fill with water. Wow, that’s not hot.
      As I am always in the market for good excuses to hire man-servants to clean the palace, I will take your suggestion seriously and inform Thor that he need not worry about cleaning the bathrooms for me any more. (Our marriage arrangement states that if I handle all eye and teeth incidents involving the children, he will clean the bathrooms forever. I so win.)

12. May 3, 2013 at 3:54 am

Your advice is amazingly appealing.